This is part D of the A to Z of Business & Website Tips
Domain Name Registration Protecting your Brand
When starting a new website, one of the first and most important decisions you have to make is choosing a domain name. That choice will impact the website’s success in nearly every area, included search engine optimization (SEO) and social media marketing (SMM).
SEOs and search marketers purchased domains that contained their targeted keywords in order to increase CTRs (Click Through Rates) and to help gain higher rankings on Google and other search engines.
- The presence of the keyword phrase in the domain was itself a ranking factor.
- The presence of the keyword phrase in the domain encouraged other webmasters to include
- The keyword phrase in the anchor text when linking to the site.
However with recent Google algorithm updates the domain name don’t carry as weight as they used to. However you need to protect your business & brand name.
Choosing a Brandable or Catchy Domain
The first step to building a brand is choosing a brandable domain
Your domain name is how users will find, remember, share and identify your company online.
Your brand is important, and your domain name is the foundation upon which your online brand will be built. In both social media and search engines, the domain name is the primary way by which users can identify where the link will lead.
Things to consider when choosing domains –
- Secure as many relevant domains as possible – the domains extensions for relevant countries, like .com for international traders, possible future common business names and expanding brands, like franchises. Plus you need to register relevant domain names in every country domain your trade in eg Australia .com.au, NZ .co.nz & the UK register .co.uk
- The domain needs to be memorable – users must be able to easily remember your domain name/brand.
- Be relevant – words have implicit meanings and connotations
- Easy to spell – Your domain name must be easy to spell. Avoid commonly misspelled words, intentional misspellings and hyphens
- Sound authoritative – Your domain name should sound like a trustworthy authority
- Shorter is better – Keep your domain name short; 1 or 2 words is best. The top 100,000 websites, on average, have nine characters in their domain names
- Be unique – One of your marketing goals should be to build a distinct brand that stands out from your competitors.
Emails from Your Domain – look more professional
How professional does your band look if you use a Yahoo, Hotmail or Gmail email address as your main email address.
Be professional use your domain as your email eg email@example.com for the sales department and your personal business email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Search Engine Submissions
This is a FREE service offered by Find Net Solutions when we manage your domain.
Good business practice is to submit your domain to search engines regularly.
Many domain registrars and or domain managers charge you extra to do this.
When Find Net Solutions, manage your domain names we do Domain Search Submissions at no extra cost
Register other domain names – protect your name – ask us more